Subject: Re: Routing problem, what am I doing wrong?
To: Paul Newhouse <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/25/1999 10:55:20
On Tue, 25 May 1999, Paul Newhouse wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 1999 Paul Goyette wrote:
> Ok, traceroute shows the next hop is:
>     1 (  16.235 ms  14.679 ms  14.715 ms
> this corresponds to what I was told when they installed the cable modem.  It supposedly
> is my gateway address on the cable network.
> So I should add a route like:
>    route add -net 24 -netmask
> and for
>    route add -net

Why are you adding a route to Also, why are you adding a
-net route for it? Both actions are wrong.

I think you want a much simpler routing setup than you're giving yourself.

I think all you want in addition to local routes and the loopback routes
is "route add default".

You shouldn't need to enter a route for the cable modem as the ifconfig
for the ethernet card on the cable side should have done it. I think the      link#3             UC          0        0      -  ne0
line was all you needed.

Take care,