Subject: Re: Routing problem, what am I doing wrong?
To: None <>
From: Paul Newhouse <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/25/1999 10:12:17
On Tue, 25 May 1999 Paul Goyette wrote:

>Basically, in the "route add" command, you want to specify the _next
>hop_ as the address of your nearest neighbor;  you do not want to
>specify one of your own addresses.  If you do send the packet to
>yourself, you'll receive it, look at the destination address, decide to
>send it to yourself as the next hop, and keep on doing this until the
>TTL gets to zero!  :)
>The "ping -I" command identifies the outgoing interface, which means
>you _do_ want to specify your own interface in that case.
>You want to find the address of the next hop router, and use that in
>your "route add" command.  (You can use traceroute to find the next hop

Ok, traceroute shows the next hop is:

    1 (  16.235 ms  14.679 ms  14.715 ms

this corresponds to what I was told when they installed the cable modem.  It supposedly
is my gateway address on the cable network.

So I should add a route like:

   route add -net 24 -netmask

and for

   route add -net

Which doesn't produce any tcpdump output on any interfaces when I ping.

route get shows:
      route to:
     interface: ne0
    recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    rttvar  hopcount      mtu     expire
          0         0         0         0         0         0         0         0

ping gets:
    PING ( 56 data bytes
    ping: sendto: No route to host
    ping: sendto: No route to host

I guess I'm just to network dumb to get this?

Thanks for you help,