Subject: Re: Memory usage in 1.4
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/21/1999 03:37:05
On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 08:30:16PM -0400, Rick Byers wrote:
> Hi,
> Is it known if NetBSD-1.4 uses signifcantly more memory than 1.3.3?  I've
> got an old 386 with 8 Mb of ram that use to be very usable with NetBSD
> 1.3.3, but is now INSANLY slow when compiling under NetBSD-1.4.  Is it
> just that egcs uses a lot more memory than gcc?

Yes, it is. And the optimisation loops are longer as well (needs more CPU
cycle).
Do you use a custom kernel ? The GENERIC 1.4 kernel is bigger, because of
new devices drivers.

> Also, why do the swapper, pagedaemon and reaper use so much memory (as
> reported by ps)?  They have an rss of 5.5 Mb on my 386 and 18Mb on my PII
> (160 Mb RAM).  Is this really accurate?  If there is really 5.5 Mb
> allocated to the system processes, there shoudln't be anything left.

No, they're not (this is a bug in the VM accounting, they can become negative
in some cases :). These are kernel threads, so RSS doesn't have much sense
anyway

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>