Subject: Re: Memory usage in 1.4
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/21/1999 11:54:13
Rick Byers wrote:

> Hi,
> Is it known if NetBSD-1.4 uses signifcantly more memory than 1.3.3?  I've
> got an old 386 with 8 Mb of ram that use to be very usable with NetBSD
> 1.3.3, but is now INSANLY slow when compiling under NetBSD-1.4.  Is it
> just that egcs uses a lot more memory than gcc?

I _think_ we changed from using -O to -O2 between 1.3.3 and 1.4.  The
extra optimisation could well slow things down and chew up more memory.

> Also, why do the swapper, pagedaemon and reaper use so much memory (as
> reported by ps)?  They have an rss of 5.5 Mb on my 386 and 18Mb on my PII
> (160 Mb RAM).  Is this really accurate?  If there is really 5.5 Mb
> allocated to the system processes, there shoudln't be anything left.

The counters for the number of resident memory pages for these processes
are not getting updated correctly.  Essentially, these three processes
don't use any user memory.

Simon.