Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.4: DHCP setup
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/20/1999 18:34:53
    Ted> and gives it to some other client?  The only lease you should
    Ted> write into the /etc/dhclient.conf file is a faked-up lease
    Ted> for a subnet that has no DHCP service, and on which you have
    Ted> been officially assigned an IP address.

  What if you have been official assigned an IP address on a network
which *does* have a DHCP server, but which can't know my ethernet
address ahead of time.... I ran into this problem on the Interop
network last week. It kept assigning me a different IP address, which
was a problem since my IPsec gateway back at the office was expecting
me to come from a specific IP address that I was assigned ahead of
time.
  The major problem is that I want to use DHCLIENT to autoconfigure
what network I'm on, and there is some higher level policy that I want
to program and forget rather than pick when I boot/resume.

] Unlike this plane, the train features AC, and better seats    |  firewalls  [