Subject: Re: SGI will freely license its XFS
To: None <>
From: None <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/20/1999 10:25:35

>> good news are here. the story
>>
>> http://www.news.com/News/Item/Textonly/0,25,36807,00.html
>>
>> tells that SGI will release the source code of their XFS. it lacks some
>> features but is able to handle with files of very big size, has b-tree
>> layout on the media and, the most important, it is journaling file
>> system. if the license is acceptable I guess it will quite easy to port
>> XFS into NetBSD.

Manuel> How is it different from our LFS ?

	they are very different. xfs is an ordinary (but extremely optimized
for high speed data access) journaling file system and stores the transaction
log somewhere on the disk (in other slice of disk or in the slice of another
disk or inside the filesystem itself). lfs is a log-structured file system,
there is no transaction log or data - file system itself is a log. lfs is
good in many terms but unfortunately it is write only file system; data
reading without notable performance impact is impossible. lfs is an example
of excellent research work but in real life it is unusable.

	there are white papers from usenix'93 (IIRC) about LFS.