Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.4: DHCP setup
To: dustin sallings <>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/20/1999 16:56:14
> 	What does the DHCP server think?  I'm not sure where you got that
> lease, but get rid of it and try over.  You shouldn't need anything but

I did that.  The static lease is based on the first lease that the
DHCP server gave me.  I creamed /var/db/dhclient.leases and rebooted -
server keeps giving me the same lease:

lease {
  interface "le0";
  medium "media 10baseT/UTP";
  option subnet-mask;
  option routers;
  option domain-name-servers,;
  option domain-name "";
  option broadcast-address;
  option netbios-name-servers,;
  option netbios-node-type 8;
  option dhcp-lease-time 3600;
  option dhcp-message-type 5;
  option dhcp-server-identifier;
  renew 4 1999/5/20 06:11:50;
  rebind 4 1999/5/20 06:34:20;
  expire 4 1999/5/20 05:57:46;

I think the problem is:

> // Trying medium "media 10baseT/UTP" 1
> // ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Device not configured

at this point I think dhclient thinks the interface is up when in fact
it isn't.

I just removed all the medium entries from my config and the leases
file and rebooted.

Listening on BPF/le0/08:00:20:10:1d:55
Sending on   BPF/le0/08:00:20:10:1d:55
Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
ifconfig: SIOCDIFADDR: Can't assign requested address
DHCPDISCOVER on le0 to port 67 interval 4
can't connect to sysconf socket: No such file or directory
DHCPREQUEST on le0 to port 67
New Network Number:
New Broadcast Address:
bound to -- renewal in 604800 seconds.