Subject: NetBSD-1.4: DHCP setup
To: None <,>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/20/1999 16:10:09
DHCP is comming to town... so as an experiment I setup a clean
1.4/sparc box (correctly I hope :-).

I enabled dhclient in rc.conf and created a dhclient.conf that
contained a static lease for the existing setup:

interface "le0" {
        send host-name "hobbit";
        send dhcp-client-identifier 08:00:20:10:1d:55;
        send dhcp-lease-time 3600;
#       prepend domain-name-servers;
        request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
                domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name;
        require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;
           script "/etc/dhclient-script";
           media "media 10baseT/UTP", "media 10base2/BNC";

lease {
  interface "le0";
  medium "media 10baseT/UTP";
  option subnet-mask;
  option routers;
  option domain-name-servers,;
  option domain-name "";
  option broadcast-address;
  option dhcp-server-identifier;

and when I reboot (after tossing the old mygate and ifconfig.le0
stuff) I get:

Listening on BPF/le0/08:00:20:10:1d:55
Sending on   BPF/le0/08:00:20:10:1d:55
Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
Trying medium "media 10baseT/UTP" 1
ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Device not configured
DHCPDISCOVER on le0 to port 67 interval 8
can't connect to sysconf socket: No such file or directory
DHCPREQUEST on le0 to port 67
New Network Number:
New Broadcast Address:
ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Device not configured
bound to -- renewal in 1800 seconds.

and as ifconfig shows we are not well.

root:50# ifconfig -a
        address: 08:00:20:10:1d:55
        media: Ethernet 10base5
        status: active
        inet netmask 0xff000000 broadcast

# netstat -rn
Routing tables

Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use    Mtu  Interface
default            link#1             UC          0        0      -  le0 =>
default        UGS         0        0      -  le0          UH          2       24      -  lo0          UGHS        0        0      -  lo0

# ping
PING ( 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: No route to host
ping: sendto: No route to host
ping: sendto: No route to host
---- PING Statistics----
3 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

This is running on the 1.4 GENERIC_SCSI3 kernel.

Have I missed something?