Subject: Re: USB-related freeze? (Unsure...)
To: None <khym@bga.com>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/18/1999 21:46:40
   On Tue, 18 May 1999, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
   > I want to try to reproduce this before sending a PR... Can anyone else
   > confirm or deny that this happens on their system? My thoughts are that
   > maybe X didn't like having its pointer taken away, or if there's a protocol
   > for that to happen, maybe our USB stuff is not saying that the device is
   > no longer there or something...?

   Sounds like it might be the same as PR 7473... the kernel crashes if you
   close a USB mouse that has been disconnected.
   Dahan: Hani G Y+C 23 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++

Just a quick note....

On obvious workaround that I use is to exit X first and then unplug the
mouse.  This seems to yield a reasonable result.  I also found the XInput
extension and the 'xsetpointer' useful [X on the i386 plateform only,
perhaps, others may vary].  With that you can define a second mouse and
switch to it simply.  Not quite automatic, but I haven't seen crashes and
the Logitech USB mouse I have for my notebook is pretty nice.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]