Subject: Re: CD to mpeg3
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/15/1999 08:10:32
On Sat, 15 May 1999, Simon Burge wrote:

: What's the best way to get an audio CD to mpeg3 format?  Seems that the
: only tool in pkgsrc for lifting info off a CD is "cdd", but I can't
: find a converter from whatever format it produces to mpeg3 (or wav or
: anything else useful).  The archives mention "cdda2wav" but that doesn't
: work for me ("Cannot get SCSI addr" after hacking to use the new atapi
: CD ioctls).

The official encoders are at http://www.fhg.de/, which do cost money.
The CD audio is `raw' format, little endian, 16-bit.

A free encoder based on the ISO reference implementation (a little lower
sound quality, so make sure to use 192kbps bitrate) is in pkgsrc at
autio/bladeenc ... and may need to be updated.