Subject: Re: X vs. wscons
To: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/12/1999 03:47:17
Silly me!

I'd seen that command before, but (having worked for DEC back in the
early '70s), I thought that the "vt05" part had something to do with a
terminal type - vt05 was one of DEC's early CRTs!  :)

Works like a champ - thanks to all who responded!

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Matthieu Herrb wrote:

> You wrote (in your message from Tuesday 11)
>  >
>  > The simple solution, of course, is to remove the getty line for ttyE0
>  > from /etc/ttys.  But it would be really nice if there were some way to
>  > tell the X server which ttyE[0-7] to use;  I'd really like to have it
>  > avoid ttyE0 since there might be a console message or two worth looking
>  > at.  :)
>  >

> This is possible with XFree86 just pass `vtx as an option to your X
> server. In /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers you can use:
>
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt05
>
> To force xdm to use ttyE4 (XFree86 numbers VTs from 1).  see also XFree86(1).
> --
> 					Matthieu

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |