Subject: re: union filesystem problems
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 05/12/1999 10:12:14

   You want your own file? simple, Write your own config file, with
   inline copies of the stuff you want included.

   you have to maintain it yourself already; what's the difference?

what do you think i already *do* ?  there is NO upgrade path with
a highly incompatible configuration file.  with other ports, i update
my configuration file with:

	cvs diff -r <old> -r <new> GENERIC | patch MYFILE

which merges the changes or leave CVS markers for me to hand merge
where it can't.  with the current pmax layout, this is basically
impossible.  at least, it is significantly harder.  nevermind being
radically different to all the other ports i've ever used and thus
confusing.

you haven't addressed any of the other points i made, particularly
about *removing* hardware support for devices you do not have and
DO NOT WANT configured in your kernel.  this is NOT an unusual
situation.  i have NO use for frame buffers in my non-fb machines.

do you understand why i can *not* deal with this now?