Subject: Re: Lots of Oerrs on ex*
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: Scott Ellis <scotte@warped.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/1999 19:20:07
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
> What this probably means is that some device transmitting to your
> machine is in full-duplex mode, and thus your card is detecting the
> transmissions not as receivable packets but as collisions, because
> it's in half-duplex mode.

This sounds reasonable...so I reduced the network to be just the offending
machine, the hub, and another 100BaseTX system, and then transferred data
between them.  The result is still an increasing number of Oerrs.  I then
tried with another machine (in case the 'other' machine I picked was the
full-duplex offender), and got the same result.  The Oerrs are now as
follows:

Name  Mtu   Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
Colls
ex0   1500  <Link>        00:60:97:37:b9:74    48014     0    58806   859
692
ex0   1500  192.168.1     192.168.1.1          48014     0    58806   859
692

Neither of the other two machines used in the test show any Ierrs or Oerrs
(and they both report being in Half-duplex mode, like they should be), which
brings me back to thinking it's something specific to the ex0 interface.

Any other ideas on what could be making this weirdness happen?