Subject: Re: Using ppp on demand
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/08/1999 10:56:12
On Sat, 8 May 1999, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> Finally, go into /etc/rc.conf and change the ppp_peers as follows.
>
> ppp_peers="isp"
>
> On reboot, your system will set up the interface on ppp0 but will only dial
> when a packet is destined to an IP outside of your local network.

For my setups, this has the annoying side effect of dialing the phone
on every boot. Here's how I deal with that: 1) add a filter line
/etc/ppp/peers/isp, like so

	active-filter 'not udp port ntp and not tcp port imap2'

That particular line keeps ntp and fetchmail from keeping the line
open, or bringing it up.

On that same note, since I have two physically seperated machines
using the same account, I don't want the machine at work dialing the
phone when I'm not there. I get some extra assurance that a power
fail/reboot won't dial up the phone from work with `ifconfig ppp0
down' as the last line in rc.local, and in my crontab. It will then
only dial up after a corresponding `ifconfig ppp0 up', and then also,
the account is guaranteed to be free after a certain time.

There's still another wierd problem with an ipnat'd network and the
domestic build. Kerberized 'telnetd' sends out a dns query for
"my.trusted.friend", also telnetd seems to want to do a reverse dns
query on the clients. I dealt with that by setting up a "caching
mostly" nameserver--that's like a caching only nameserver, with some
authority files sprinkled in.