Subject: Re: Tracking Prevalance of Bugs
To: Brian C. Grayson <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1999 08:20:22
On Mon, 3 May 1999, Brian C. Grayson wrote:

>   What if we turn the problem around -- instead of finding out
> who has problems, what if we found out who _didn't_ have
> problems, or at least who has such hardware?  For example,
> volunteers could set up their /etc/rc.local to E-mail their
> dmesg or some such to a site.

I really, really, really like this idea. This would also help us
find people to test drivers after changes to them.

Do you have some code to do this? I don't think any changes to the
distribution are necessary right off; just adding a `dmesg | mail'
line to /etc/rc.local is a pretty easy change from the user's side.

Curt Sampson  <>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: