Subject: Re: CVSup collections for a NetBSD CVS tree
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 05/04/1999 01:56:15
On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 09:26:42AM +1000, matthew green wrote:
>    There is Linux binary support actually in the NetBSD source tree after
>    all that doesn't support Linux binaries for my platform.  Does this
>    mean that the whole Linux emulation package should be thrown out? or
>    that I should abandon NetBSD because it is being i386 centrist?
[...]
> now, i'm fairly sure that most of those don't work, but that's a
> *bug* and is to be fixed.  nathan williams did work on making
> the COMPAT_LINUX support work for all ports affected (like the
> other COMPAT_XXX options do or are becoming more like) last year.
> i believe it works for alpha and m68k, as well as i386.  all it
> needs is someone willing to write the code for other ports...
> but most of the hard work is already done.
Maybe there is not as much need for it on the other ports.

Eg.: I have i386s and an arm32 box (RISC PC), for the i386 I'm
happy that I can use Linux- or FreeBSD-emulation to run some binaries
like real player or netscape because native versions or source codes are
not availlable.

But for arm32 there are no such things. Everything that runs on arm-linux
is much easier to get as source code or even as NetBSD- than as Linux-binary.
Because of that Linux emulation on arm32 doesn't give me anything ATM.
(Would make more sense to add NetBSD emulation to Linux IMHO.)

So the reason for this is probably that Linux is too much i386 centric and
not NetBSD. :-)

Bye,
  Thilo.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.