Subject: Re: NetBSD and IPv6
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/03/1999 19:40:14
Your message dated: 03 May 1999 09:47:54 PDT

>> Anyway, I'm interested in bringing people together that are
>> interested/experimenting with NetBSD and IPv6 (and KAME in particular).
>
>Would it be possible to roll KAME into netbsd-current (after the
>release of course)?
>
>Tracking -current and maintaining a a private patch is a royal pain in
>the butt.  I tried doing that before PCMCIA was rolled in and it was a
>horror show.

I'd love to see that too! Also, to make it easier for people to work
on getting IPv6 support in NetBSD-userland. It would be nice to
integrate the IPv6 patches and code, so that we can have a IPV6 option
in /etc/mk.conf and such...

and in reply to Jun-ichiro Hagino's posting:

I agree there are already many ipv6 mailinglists around, and I agree
an ipv6@netbsd.org should be about IPv6 on NetBSD and hopefully get
people together in order to e.g. merge KAME into netbsd-current and
maintain it well. Maybe these things can be discussed too on
current-users or tech-net, but especially the former is already quite
busy already and people not interested in IPv6 might get annoyed by many
IPv6-related postings. I think the following would be appropriate for an
ipv6@netbsd.org list:

  * NetBSD plans/strategy w.r.t. IPv6
  * Support porting activitities for NetBSD user-land.

After some time when NetBSD plan is clear and overall NetBSD-support
for IPv6 is mostly in-place, the ipv6@netbsd.org mailing list should
maybe be revoked again as (occasional) ipv6 postings to current-users
would've become more appropriate.

Feico.