Subject: Re: Tracking Prevalance of Bugs
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/03/1999 13:16:10
Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> You should have heard the shrieks of outrage about a `netbsd
> counter' project.  (basically, adding an option to the isntall
> to send an email saying NetBD had been isntalled on another machine).

	Actually, we implemented exactly that for the local (MIT
Athena) distribution of NetBSD/i386. It's a yes-or-no question and, if
answered in the affirmative, lets you specify an address to cc: the
mail to, so you know what you've told us. The message includes dmesg
output, disk partitioning information, and some sysctl output. I'm
sure that some people take the option of not letting it mail the
information in, but locally there have been no complaints.

	- Nathan