Subject: Re: Tracking Prevalance of Bugs
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/1999 19:26:34
On Sun, May 02, 1999 at 06:02:03PM -0400, Curt Sampson wrote:

> One of the things I've realised during the release process for 1.4
> is that we don't really have a way of tracking how many people are
> affected or likely to be affected by a particular bug.
>
> Unfortuantely, I don't have a solution for this at the moment. I'm
> just opening up this topic to see if anyone here has any thoughts
> on better ways to approach this problem.

One thought, might be to log searches from the web page, or
gnats-query. Tallying matches against PRs would at least give an
idea of how many people are searching for a related problem.

I suspect that anything more demanding of individuals live a
'this is my problem' button on the web pages, wouldn't get enough use.

One other possibility might be a companion to send-pr, to just report
a trouble, without creating a PR. Then those could be grepped for
matches...

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,