Subject: Re: Languages Was: CVSup collections for a NetBSD CVS tree
To: Andrew Reilly <andrew@lake.com.au>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/1999 17:15:20
"Andrew Reilly" <andrew@lake.com.au> writes:
> Isn't this tantamount to saying that C (perhaps even K&R C) is the
> last language ever (to be) developed in which a tool can be written
> for NetBSD?

All of our source tree is written in (ANSI) C, C++, and interpreted
languages with interpreters located elsewhere in the tree and written
in C or C++. This is not unreasonable, when you think about
it. Maintaining compilers for 18 different platforms would be a
nightmare otherwise.

Now that gcc/egcs support native Java compilation, we could perhaps
start adding Java to the supported list, but probably not any time soon.

.pm