Subject: Re: CVSup collections for a NetBSD CVS tree
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/01/1999 13:11:51
On Sat, 1 May 1999, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Saturday, May 1, 1999 at 10:34:15 (-0700), Brian D Chase wrote: ]
> >
> > Okay... Let's draw a socio-politically charged parallel to this line of
> > thinking.  And this is probably a good way to illustrate why a good number
> > of NetBSDers are ethically opposed to embracing any software like CVSup.
>
> Your analogy is so flawed and backwards that it's not even funny.
>
> If you're restricted to running an old Sun3 or sparc-1 or vax-750 or
> whatever then you're already restricted to the pony express because
> those machines aren't capable of flying supersonic in the first place.
> Note:  "Not capable" -- not "restricted from"!  This doesn't have
> *ANYTHING* to do with "racism".

	So if there was a CVSup like tool written in C, those machines
	would not be able to run it? That they would not see a significant
	benefit? In what particular way are these platforms "not capable"?

	I do not think people are going to reach resolution here - you
	feel you should be able to use the best tool available to you, and
	other people feel we should not promote a tool unless everyone can
	use it.

	Breaking news: You're both right.

	A suggestion:

	If Greg can find someone with the bandwidth & CPU willing to host
	a service, then everyone should be happy. (He might want to start
	on port-i386 & port-alpha :) If the service is heavily used and
	considered to be important enough to outweigh the limited platform
	support then it may become officially sanctioned.

		David/absolute

    -=-  "They're only red from all the thoughts unused inside my head"  -=-