Subject: Re: CVSup collections for a NetBSD CVS tree
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/01/1999 13:07:57
In message <m10ddeq-000g5pC@most.weird.com>Greg A. Woods writes

>It's not *the* solution.  It's is *a* solution.  It *IS* the *BEST*
>solution for the job too, even if using it requires a specific platform
>be dedicated to the job.  It is not the *only* solution -- just the
>*BEST*.

No, Greg. You keep refusing to hear the point that, from the NetBSD
user community's standpoint, it is not a solution *at all* at present.

Its' not a `best' solution; its *NOT* a solution.

>This is abundantly clear to anyone who's used it in any
>non-superficial manner (and maybe even to those who accept the
>testimonials of those who have).

I dont think that has ever been at issue.

>If you can't use the best and you
>don't want to, or can't, put the effort into making the best solution
>work for you then you will have to settle for the second best.  That's
>perfectly fine and OK, just so long as you don't feel put out about it
>and try to force everyone else to use only the second best as well.

No, Greg. I'm saying netBSD shouldn't offer an officially-sanctioned
service until we can offer it to all NetBSD users. And, for that
matter, all NetBSD servers.  That is where the analogy about `racism'
comes in.  We want all ports to be equal; you want some to be more equal
than others, and you are complaining because you're encountering resistance.

[snip]

>> Greg, telling other people that *they* need to do the necessary
>> legwork to make your preferred (but deeply flawed, for NetBDS) tool
>> into a viable tool for NetBSD is both arrogant and rude.
>
>Excuse me?  Are you reading what I wrote?  Or are you trying to put
>words in my mouth?  The latter is extremely rude.  I did not say
>"need" -- I don't think I even implied it.

'need' is certainly the way it read, though you may not have used the
words.  And the `testimonials' you refer to implied it even more
strongly.  But anyway: if you dont need CVSup, then why do we need to
provide an officially-sanctioned CVSup server for you?

As for "rudeness": do you not think character attacks are extremely rude?