Subject: Re: CVSup collections for a NetBSD CVS tree
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/30/1999 23:23:04
[ On Friday, April 30, 1999 at 18:09:52 (-0700), Gandhi woulda smacked you wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVSup collections for a NetBSD CVS tree
>
> You want NetBSD Core to dedicate resources to it and make it public
> at your behest, but you're not willing to share your own resources
> to achieve your own ends.

No, not exactly.  I just want all the nay-sayers who haven't already
used CVSup and who really don't really know what they're talking about
to shut up.  What I need from The NetBSD Foundation is some form of
support, primarily in the form of approval and in promotion and
facilitation to get server hardware and possibly co-location services
donated and installed.  Then, if a machine is donated I've offered to
help set up a public CVSup server on it and to help maintain it.  Of
course if anyone beats me to it I won't feel put out by it!  ;-)

If I set up my own server it may not even have adequate facilities to be
used by anyone other than myself and my colleagues -- and of course I'll
only set up such a server on my own if I need to get CVSup running
across my currently very low bandwidth home link.  The longer it takes
for the CVS repository to become available the more likely I am to get
enough bandwidth that I, as an independent NetBSD developer, won't care
if there's a CVSup server available -- I'll just soak up as much of
TNF's bandwith as I need, as will everyone else in my position.

> What really needs to happen for CVS is not just to think, "what's
> broken/how do we fix it?" but "What is the big picture we should
> be addressing?"  Versioned "views" and quick updates (deltas) should
> be part of that design.

Hmmm.  Yes, if I catch your drift....  In fact there is a tool in the
making that might just offer such features, but embracing it will indeed
take full and total co-operation of TNF and all developers.  I'm not
100% sold on this tool yet myself, but I'm very much encouraged by the
direction it has taken to date, and I'm very confident in its primary
designer and author.

--
							Greg A. Woods