Subject: Re: CVSup collections for a NetBSD CVS tree
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/30/1999 23:23:04
[ On Friday, April 30, 1999 at 18:09:52 (-0700), Gandhi woulda smacked you wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVSup collections for a NetBSD CVS tree
> You want NetBSD Core to dedicate resources to it and make it public
> at your behest, but you're not willing to share your own resources
> to achieve your own ends.

No, not exactly.  I just want all the nay-sayers who haven't already
used CVSup and who really don't really know what they're talking about
to shut up.  What I need from The NetBSD Foundation is some form of
support, primarily in the form of approval and in promotion and
facilitation to get server hardware and possibly co-location services
donated and installed.  Then, if a machine is donated I've offered to
help set up a public CVSup server on it and to help maintain it.  Of
course if anyone beats me to it I won't feel put out by it!  ;-)

If I set up my own server it may not even have adequate facilities to be
used by anyone other than myself and my colleagues -- and of course I'll
only set up such a server on my own if I need to get CVSup running
across my currently very low bandwidth home link.  The longer it takes
for the CVS repository to become available the more likely I am to get
enough bandwidth that I, as an independent NetBSD developer, won't care
if there's a CVSup server available -- I'll just soak up as much of
TNF's bandwith as I need, as will everyone else in my position.

> What really needs to happen for CVS is not just to think, "what's
> broken/how do we fix it?" but "What is the big picture we should
> be addressing?"  Versioned "views" and quick updates (deltas) should
> be part of that design.

Hmmm.  Yes, if I catch your drift....  In fact there is a tool in the
making that might just offer such features, but embracing it will indeed
take full and total co-operation of TNF and all developers.  I'm not
100% sold on this tool yet myself, but I'm very much encouraged by the
direction it has taken to date, and I'm very confident in its primary
designer and author.

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>