Subject: Re: vt420 login problem
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/30/1999 13:26:50
On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Patrick Welche wrote:
> >
> >As I said in the above message, both the terminal and the terminal server
> >are set to no parity. (Not 100% but 99% sure everything is set to 1 stop bit)
> >Does /usr/bin/login use /etc/gettytab's default or something else?
>
>   Ahh, I missed that.  I just woke up a little while ago...that's my excuse. :)
>
>   I thought login wasn't supposed to change those modes...they were supposed to
> get set by getty then left alone.  Anyone else have more info?

gettytab(5). The gettytab entry you choose to invoke in /etc/ttys can
have a separate set of flags for writing messages before logging in,
for reading the login name, and for handing over to "login" &c. I made
a custom gettytab entry for my VT420, but it's at work, so I won't
have access to it until Monday. The chief reason for a custom entry,
IIRC, was that you have to have software handshaking. None of the
std.* entries provide that. The VT should be set to "XOFF at 64" or
"XOFF at 128". I find that a speed of 19200 give only occasional
garbage in "vi" and "less". "ddb" works reasonably too. At 38400, ddb
freaks, but some other application might do OK.