Subject: Re: dd of=/dev/rfd0c failing?
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/30/1999 13:16:27
>From: seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach)
>
>I used to use this all the time.
>
>Today, I started getting media errors around cylinder 66 (~1200k).
>
>Another person I know, using a SPARC (I'm using i386), had the same problem,
>but he was able to use /dev/rfd0a after doing an fdformat and telling it to
>use 1440 blocks.
>
>Anything change recently?  I'm pretty weirded out about seeing "end of media"
>200k before the end of the media.

On floppies, the "c" partition is not the "whole disk" like it is for
hard disks.  You should be using "a" for autodetect size, or "b" for
1.44MB 3.5-inch drive.  The "c" partition is for a 1.2MB 5.25-inch
drive.  See "man 4 fdc".

The fact that it worked before and doesn't work now is probably a
symptom of the disklabel boundary checking that (I think) was added
not too long ago.

Cheers,
entropy