Subject: Re: CVSup collections for a NetBSD CVS tree
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/29/1999 13:49:29
[ On Thursday, April 29, 1999 at 12:10:58 (-0400), Dave McGuire wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVSup collections for a NetBSD CVS tree
>
>   I agreed with just about everything in your rather long message except for
> this.  I do exactly that, on sparc, pmax, vax, and alpha...and everything
> works Just Fine.  And I'm an impatient guy that doesn't have a lot of free time.
>
>   I had to throw this in just in case your statement of pulling hair out
> might have dissuaded anyone from trying it.
>
>   Not trying to flame; just voicing an opinion on one set of experiences...

Ooops!  I certainly don't want to dissuade anyone from trying NetBSD on
as many machines as they can get their hands on either!!!!

I guess I should have been more explicit about what I meant, or else
just shut up.

You're right that NetBSD does "Just Fine(TM)" on all those machines that
it supports, and it does provide a very uniform programming and systems
administration environment across the board (though there are of course
the expected minor differences in sys admin tasks that have to do with
hardware).

What I was getting at has more to do with the fact that I don't just
install and use it -- I hack around on the insides sometimes too, and I
find lots of differences in the degree to which NetBSD works with some
hardware, and lots of little differences in the way various issues and
problems are tackled in the port-specific parts of the systems.

I guess the only glaring user-level difference I can point at off the
top of my head is the degree to which sysinst is or isn't supported
across the board....

--
							Greg A. Woods