Subject: Re: Config files and paths for next XFree86 version
To: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/28/1999 06:29:40
On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Matthieu Herrb wrote:

>   We're proposing to change that to:
>
>     -xf86config [pathname/]filename               (root only)
>     -xf86config filename (*)                      (non-root users)
>     $XF86CONFIG                                   (root only)
>     $HOME/XF86Config                              (root only)
>     /etc/X11/XF86Config
>     /etc/XF86Config

If compatability with linux is your goal, you should know that Linux
2.0.0, at least, finds XF86Config in /etc even if there is one in
/etc/X11.

I like the idea of putting working configs in /etc/something. I already
have /etc/xdm/xdm-config edited to pick up /etc/xdm/Xservers. The big
advantage for me is that now I can rebuild or update my distribution
without destroying my choice of servers and settings. I once had an
Xresources and Xsetup_0 customized with a decent color scheme, but that
got blown away by an upgrade. :( It's trivial to edit xdm-config to look
in /etc/xdm for them, too, and I intend to do that next time.