Subject: Re: My Mirror Is Slower Than Yours
To: current-users@netbsd.org, Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: current-users
Date: 04/28/1999 00:39:45
On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Brian D Chase wrote:

> the CPU (implemented as two separate quad sized Q-bus boards) zips
> along at a blindingly fast 300,000 instructions per second.

rather strange, isn't it, that such a CPU has memory protection, paging,
supervisor mode, or whatever is all that nonsense NetBSD needs--yet,
MacOS and Windows 98 do not.  hardware that is too slow to run Marble
Madness can catch a segmentation violation, yet almost every machine
sold today cannot.

It's getting easier and easier to say, ``No.'' when people ask me to fix
things for them.  So far, most of them eventually end up fixing the
problem by buying a new computer.  what would we do without 'mericans?

--
Miles Nordin / 1-888-857-2723
555 Bryant Street #182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700