Subject: Re: [1.4beta/i386 boot floppy] ftp url parsing
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/28/1999 00:10:46
Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
>
> : >: I didn't see the original message, so I am not sure exactly what problem
> : >: you encountered, but from the part that Perry quoted I believe that just
> : >: sending "CWD /" would be wrong.
> : >However, it's what all other Web-based FTP clients (see Lynx, Nutscrape) do,
> : >so we should match.  Otherwise the URL ftp://host/path is NOT processed
> : >correctly, as we are *incorrectly* assuming that an FTP connection starts
> : >with cwd at /.
> :
> : 	Sorry, I made a mistake.  Let me rephrase the problem.
> : 	The problem is not in ftp but in sysinst (I should check the source
> : 	code but not possible right now).
>
> : 		ftp://itojun:secret@myhost.itojun.org/export4/home
> : 	But, it should be translated as
> : 		ftp://itojun:secret@myhost.itojun.org/%2fexport4/home
>
> Actually, the bug is in ftp:  the top URL is correct; ftp is not fetching it
> properly.  (I have run into this problem outside of sysinst.)

So how would you specify a relative path to a file?  For example, when
you FTP to the Novell servers here you end up in /sys, but a user's home
directory is /data/users/<login-name>.  Then I cd to /data/users/<login>
and away I go.

Here's a small session:

	balrog:~ 14> ftp v_300lat_f53.melb
	230 User C797061 logged in.
	ftp> pwd
	257 "/sys" is current directory.
	ftp> cd ..
	200 CWD command okay.
	ftp> pwd
	257 "/" is current directory.
	ftp> cd data/users/c797061
	200 CWD command okay.
	ftp> pwd
	257 "/data/users/c797061" is current directory.
	ftp> quit
	221 Goodbye.

Just an idle question - "Don't use Novell" would be a satisfactory
answer :-)

Simon.