Subject: Re: [1.4beta/i386 boot floppy] ftp url parsing
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/27/1999 22:23:20
>: > > 	I would like to know the reason for this behavior.  The behavior
>: > > 	can easily be fixed to conform to RFC, by sending "CWD /" just after
>: > > 	the ftp login (just give me a pointer...).
>: I didn't see the original message, so I am not sure exactly what problem
>: you encountered, but from the part that Perry quoted I believe that just
>: sending "CWD /" would be wrong.
>However, it's what all other Web-based FTP clients (see Lynx, Nutscrape) do,
>so we should match.  Otherwise the URL ftp://host/path is NOT processed
>correctly, as we are *incorrectly* assuming that an FTP connection starts
>with cwd at /.

	Sorry, I made a mistake.  Let me rephrase the problem.
	The problem is not in ftp but in sysinst (I should check the source
	code but not possible right now).

	I used non-anonymous ftp from sysinst, like:
		user: itojun
		password: secret
		host: myhost.itojun.org
		path: /export4/home
	Then, sysinst shows a URL on the console, like:
		ftp://itojun:secret@myhost.itojun.org/export4/home
	But, it should be translated as
		ftp://itojun:secret@myhost.itojun.org/%2fexport4/home
	to respect full pathname I've entered.