Subject: Re: CVSup collections for a NetBSD CVS tree
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@plutotech.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/1999 17:24:22
On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 03:04:05PM -0600, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 21:52:01 +0200
> > Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > > cvsup is a magnitude faster than cvs. You can mirror a
> > > NetBSD CVS tree (~400MB, 37500 files) in 100 seconds
> > > over a 28.8 modem.
> >
> >...too bad it's written in Modula-3.
>
> And yet is available for alpha and i386, likely the two machine types used
> for most of NetBSD's CVS mirrors.  It seems silly to prevent your mirrors
> or user community from using this facility (in addition to anon-cvs) just
> because of a personal distaste for Modula-3.

It's a waste of our time to put much effort into setting up servers for a
service a very large portion of our user community can't use because they
can't build the clients.  Show me working Modula-3 compilers for the
SPARC, m68k, PowerPC, MIPS, or VAX -- very popular architectures which
account for a _very_ large fraction of NetBSD users.  Unlike, say, Linux,
we're not a single-architecture operating system with a couple of
strap-ons -- in our world of genital comparisons, we really do need the
underwear that fits like a glove.

;-)

OTOH, rsync of the AnonCVS server might do the trick.  Opinions?