Subject: Re: X breaks?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/1999 17:14:18
    Mason> (--) SVGA: clgd5430: Internal memory clock register is 0x20 (Extended RAS)
    Mason> (**) SVGA: clgd5430: Approximate DRAM bandwidth for drawing: 39 of 114 MB/s
    Mason> (--) checkDevMem: warning: failed to open /dev/mem and /dev/xf86
    Mason>         (No such file or directory)
    Mason>         linear framebuffer access unavailable
    Mason> (--) SVGA: clgd5430: 262144 bytes off-screen memory available
    Mason> (--) SVGA: clgd5430: Using hardware cursor
    Mason> (--) SVGA: clgd5430: Using accelerator functions
    Mason> (--) SVGA: clgd5430: Using BitBLT engine

    Mason> Fatal server error:
    Mason> xf86MapVidMem: Could not mmap /dev/vga (Invalid argument)

    Mason> This is on i386, supped freshly a short time ago.

  You rebuild your kernel without "options INSECURE", and the SVGA driver
can not cope with this chipset unless it can do direct writes i.e. mmap()
the video ram. I think that this is likely a bug.
  I solved it by installing the aperature driver LKM, which I keep hoping
I'll find to make it static. And.. we probably need to PR this.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson | IPsec, VPN, Firewalls, PKI, network design, Unix admin
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
 Corporate: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/SSW/
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.