Subject: Re: Hesiod docs?
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/1999 00:42:16
On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Miles Nordin wrote:
>Does anyone have some starting points for learning about Hesiod?  Even,
>just some examples of zone files, if nothing else is available?  Does MIT
>release Project Athena software (like Moira and SMS) to the public?  If
>so, where does this happen?

  I dunno about sms, but moira can be found in /pub/ATHENA/moira on
athena-dist.mit.edu.

  In the context of using sendmail with hesiod, I rebuild sendmail with Hesiod
support (if it's not already there) and put this in sendmail.cf:

OUhesiod

  With a hesiod.conf file that looks like this:

lhs=.ns
rhs=.neurotica.com
classes=IN,HS

  And a zone in my nameserver called maildrop.ns.neurotica.com containing
records like this:

mcguire         HS      TXT     mcguire@phaduka.neurotica.com

  Note that one can use Hesiod for *lots* of different things, not just mail
aliases, so this is just an example.  I hope this helps.

                       -Dave McGuire