Subject: Re: anoncvs
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 04/21/1999 00:36:45
On 19 Apr 1999, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> We still have two outstanding problems.
>
> 1) We need to deal with what we're going to do about domestic/. I'm
> currently in favor of just not distributing it until we come up with a
> better plan. This will prevent people from accidently checking it out,
> which right now would be a serious problem for anyone outside of the
> U.S.

a) Change the name. "domestic" is an embarrasing USA-centric name.
   We're NETbsd, as in NEThack - not USAbsd.
b) Scrap it, and replace it with "foreign" code. Not as if this is
   exceedingly difficult - any 2-year-old who has seen a description
   of DES can reverse the rounds to obtain decryption. It's around line
   666 in my copy of the "exportable" version.
   Or even better, do an MD5 based password scheme and forget unsafe DES.
c) What else is there in "domestic"? Kerberos maybe? Everyone has that
   already as well, so add it to "foreign" servers and be done with it.

I would suggest carrying this stuff *only* on non-USA servers, in order
to make a political statement about the whole stupidity of ITAR.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc. ---- Unauthorized duplication,
\X/ .kun.nl ---- while sometimes necessary, is never as good as the real thing.