Subject: Re: anoncvs
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1999 16:11:10
At 15:40 -0700 4/20/99, seebs@plethora.net wrote:
>In message <Pine.NEB.3.96.990421001632.28472A-100000@polder.ubc.kun.nl>,
>Olaf S
>eibert writes:
>>b) Scrap it, and replace it with "foreign" code. Not as if this is
>>   exceedingly difficult - any 2-year-old who has seen a description
>>   of DES can reverse the rounds to obtain decryption. It's around line
>>   666 in my copy of the "exportable" version.
>
>This doesn't help.  You *still* can't distribute that code from any server
>in the U.S., it's still a munition.  So far as I can tell, anything compatible
>with existing encrypted data is illegal to export.

Yes you can: you publish it on paper, in an OCR font, with checksum on the
end of each line or page...

Suggested Plan:

1. rename "domestic" to "crypto" (this avoids the whole issue of where it's
from, and if we only have one name, that simplifies our makefiles, too).

2. publish it and thereby move it outside the USA, for non-USA citizens to
maintain/improve upon.

3. sup/anon-cvs becomes a teeny bit more complicated; gotta hit two
servers. One for your main bits, one for your crypto bits.

This is post 1.4, of course.

	Erik <fair@clock.org>