Subject: Merced
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1999 17:40:43
[Followups only to netbsd-advocacy]

Okay, speaking of "things the user community can do for NetBSD"...

I saw this earlier today in a news report about Linus Torvalds
speaking at a conference:

 A team working under non-disclosure is working on porting Linux to
 Intel Corp.'s forthcoming Merced, Torvalds said, so that a
 Merced-optimized version of Linux will be available the day the chip
 ships.

So, here's a perfect opportunity for the -advocacy types. NetBSD will
obviously port very easily to the Merced. It would be ultra-cool to
release around the time the Merced comes out. All we really need is
the right contacts at Intel to assure that we get our hands on
hardware, etc. We could also put together a non-disclosed team
provided our output was publicly distributable when the processor is
released.

So, SOMEONE out there has to know some Intel folks who could make
this happen. Perhaps someone getting this IS an Intel person who could
make this happen. Wouldn't this be really cool to pull off?

Perry