Subject: Re: NetBSD: Certified mom-ready.
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1999 11:18:11
> Turnover implies people moving out and new people moving in.  I haven't seen
> any mention of any new people moving in.

There isn't strong agreement that people moving in is a good thing.
The artificial distinction between core members and regular developers
is not something that I personally think is a good idea - it causes
major angst on the part of core members, who are suddenly shouldering
the world's problems among themselves, and takes power and
(important!) responsibility away from developers, because they can
blame core if something doesn't get done.

Unfortunately my calls for the elimination of this dichotomy have been
taken in a way I did not intend by some developers and core members,
but in fact I think we would generally be better off if we followed a
general meritocracy rule instead of our current system.  Many people
who are or were in core would wind up experiencing the same level of
authority, but those same people would no longer implicitly be on the
firing line, because the responsibility would be more evenly
distributed.

			       _MelloN_