Subject: Re: core resignations (was Re: NetBSD: Certified mom-ready.)
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1999 00:19:31
#
# Do you have any reason to believe that the OS isn't continuing to
# develop and improve at a pretty dramatic rate?

What's the current state of FreeBSD SMP vs. NetBSD SMP vs. Linux SMP?
Or even MP in general?

My hunches allude to some MP code in both FreeBSD and Linux while the
team working on MP for NetBSD is not saying much about what's
happening -- kind of the thing about Developers detesting progress
reports because they so vividly manifest their lack of progress.

Now, I'd like to err on the side which gives the benefit of the
doubt and think that the NetBSD SMP code is being whacked on pretty
hard and the first release will probably be somewhat buggy but
demonstrably functional, thus rendering the progress report remark
as easily dismissable.

My devil's advocate is telling me that the current amount of work
toward that end is amounting to not much.

I prefer to listen to my optimistic side.  It's much more heartening.

				--*greywolf;
--
Have A Nice Day [TM].
	(Have A Nice Day is a registered trademark of the State of California.)