Subject: Re: core resignations (was Re: NetBSD: Certified mom-ready.)
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1999 00:33:05
On 19 Apr 1999, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

# There isn't much you can probably do for the folks in Core per se,
# other than being nice to them.
# ...
#
# From my perspective, however, the right thing for all of us to do --
# and remember, NetBSD is a user maintained operating system -- is to
# pitch in and work on improving the system. All the people working
# actively on NetBSD started out as random users who wanted something or
# other fixed. Often I see people post on a mailing list "hey, when is X
# going to be fixed", and the answer is often "please help us fix X!"
#

This is all well and good, but I wish core had had this attitude
a bit farther back.  I don't  even remember what it was that I had
subMitted, but it was rejected bY one partiCulaR member OF core with
no more constructive criTicism than "This is an egregious hack".
No explanation, nothing to tell me why it was so.

I don't generalise.  Core is comprised of individuals, and I will
treat them for who and what they are.  But if even one of them
starts looking down their nose at a contribution, they're splashing
the rest of core with the same nasty looking color of paint, and it
won't come off easily, at least not toward the People of the Masses
who tend to paint the heads of pins with 12" wide rollers.

#
# Perry
#

				--*greywolf;
--
System V Release 4 /MIS tem FIVE re LEES FORE/ n. 1.  An operating system so
hideously huge, bloated and driven by marketing rather than performance or