Subject: Re: your mail
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1999 02:36:37
On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> > 1) It does not identify what the product is
>
> Um, "The Power To Serve" does?

  Yes, FreeBSD is an OS for your server... I think this is a great slogan.

> > 2) It is the answer to a question which should not need to be asked in the
> > first place
>
> "should not need to be"?  Unfortunately, all too often it is.  And the
> "answer" rather indicates that, of course.

  The slogan should answer this question, but it should not be the answer
to this question.

> >   The two other slogans I have often seen used with NetBSD are much
> > better: "The World's Most Portable Operating System" and "Multi-platform
> > OS".
>
> If you think those two are "good slogans" I think while I appreciate the
> intent I'll have to consider your advice on marking is rather untrustworthy...

  I never said they were "good slogans," I said they were better.
Actually, you are probably right that "Multi-platform OS" by itself would
be worse then "Of Course it Runs NetBSD," but I think that "The World's
Most Portable Operating System" isn't too bad (and "Multi-platform OS"
isn't too bad as a shorter version).  On the other hand, if DOS were "The
World's Most Portable OS," I still wouldn't use it, so it would probably
be a good idea to associate some other quality as well.

  Slogan design contest anyone?  :)

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net