Subject: Re: your mail
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1999 01:28:01
On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> We have such a thing: "Of course it runs NetBSD."  I was on the hook for a
> logo (or, more precisely, my SO, who works at a design firm, was) but it
> keeps getting put on the back burner by other projects -- I'll see if I
> can speed it up.

  I don't know the history of this slogan, but I have to say that from a
marketing point of view it has serious flaws:

1) It does not identify what the product is
2) It is the answer to a question which should not need to be asked in the
first place
3) It does not directly associate any qualities with NetBSD

  The two other slogans I have often seen used with NetBSD are much
better: "The World's Most Portable Operating System" and "Multi-platform
OS".

  While having a good slogan does not guarantee marketing success, it does
help the same amount of marketing attract more people.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net