Subject: Re: your mail
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Andy Doran <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1999 04:36:20
On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Makes me think is if the world knows about Linux, and FreeBSD, and
> that's it.

Funny, the FreeBSD people say the world only knows Linux :).

> The take-home lesson seems to be that NetBSD's brand-name recognition
> is way, way below most people's radar horizons (One might say that's a
> failing of Core, but then it doesn't seem to have been a real
> priority).  But since NetBSD is not _known_, it doesn't get mentioned
> (or gets incorreclty identified). Which becomes a vicious circle.

I agree. It sucks, but image and ``packaging'' are everything. For an
example, take a look at the number of strong logos that MS and FreeBSD
have. Does the phrase, "The Power to Serve" sound familiar? We would do
well to have such things too.