Subject: Core teams (was: NetBSD: Certified mom-ready.)
To: Michael Graff , Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1999 12:24:51
On Monday, 19 April 1999 at 11:30:19 -0700, Michael Graff wrote:
> Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com> writes:
>
>>   What the hell is going on?  It seems from my [admittedly rather
>> isolated] point of view, my favorite OS...one which I've been
>> evangelizing and selling people on since the 0.9 days...is folding
>> in on itself due to petty political bickering, massive ego problems,
>> and an apparent lack of tranquilizers/beer/prozac/whatever it would
>> take to keep people from yelling and screaming at each other like
>> children.  Is this really what's happening?  If so, why?  Is that
>> even an answerable question?
>
> IMHO, and I've seen this from the inside, too many inflexable people
> with too large of egos, and far too much willingness to share.
>
> I have long thought that NetBSD needs a single leader, rather than
> "core."  Linux has Linux, FreeBSD has Jordan, and NetBSD has a
> committee.

I don't see a big difference between NetBSD and FreeBSD except for the
people.  Yes, there's nobody quite like Jordan in NetBSD (I'm not sure
everybody sees this as a disadvantage :-), but FreeBSD also has a core
team.  If anything, it would be interesting to compare the way each
core team works.

Greg