Subject: Re: NetBSD: Certified mom-ready.
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <lennox@alcita.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1999 17:43:26
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org> writes:

> IMHO, and I've seen this from the inside, too many inflexable people
> with too large of egos, and far too much willingness to share.
>
> I have long thought that NetBSD needs a single leader, rather than
> "core."  Linux has Linux, FreeBSD has Jordan, and NetBSD has a
> committee.

Ehh, Linux has a "core" too; they're just much more low-key about it.

I think the major feature that Linux and FreeBSD has which NetBSD
doesn't is a bazaar-oriented development style in various forms.
Linux is pure bazaar; FreeBSD is what I consider a bazaar-cathedral
hybrid.  NetBSD's development model is cathedral through and through.

I won't comment here on the relative merits of bazaar-based and
cathedral-based development, except to say that the bazaar is
definitely the trend today.  Whether it will still be the trend
tomorrow is anyone's guess.

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
  "Don't follow leaders... watch the parking meters."  --Bob Dylan