Subject: Re: NetBSD: Certified mom-ready.
To: Michael Graff <>
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1999 17:43:26
Michael Graff <> writes:
> IMHO, and I've seen this from the inside, too many inflexable people
> with too large of egos, and far too much willingness to share.
> I have long thought that NetBSD needs a single leader, rather than
> "core."  Linux has Linux, FreeBSD has Jordan, and NetBSD has a
> committee.

Ehh, Linux has a "core" too; they're just much more low-key about it.

I think the major feature that Linux and FreeBSD has which NetBSD
doesn't is a bazaar-oriented development style in various forms.
Linux is pure bazaar; FreeBSD is what I consider a bazaar-cathedral
hybrid.  NetBSD's development model is cathedral through and through.

I won't comment here on the relative merits of bazaar-based and
cathedral-based development, except to say that the bazaar is
definitely the trend today.  Whether it will still be the trend
tomorrow is anyone's guess.

Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
  "Don't follow leaders... watch the parking meters."  --Bob Dylan