Subject: Re: core resignations (was Re: NetBSD: Certified mom-ready.)
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1999 14:16:17
On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>I think you're panicing without any real cause. The number of
>developers working on netbsd is steadily growing, not dropping. We are
>going through some growing pains that will likely result in a
>reorganization of the way the project is managed, but the code is
>improving at a phenomenal rate.

  I agree about the code...as for the management, thanks for the reassurance.
I *thought* I had real cause. :)

>Do you have any reason to believe that the OS isn't continuing to
>develop and improve at a pretty dramatic rate?

  Nono, not at all...most of my production machines jumped from 1.3.3 to a 1.3I
snapshot a while back, and it was like night & day, especially on our heavy
networking machines.  There are plenty of great *developers* working their
butts off, and the results have been phenomenal, especially in the past year
or so.  My concern was core and why people are leaving it.

>> What the hell is going on?
>
>Being in core is a sucky job. At the moment, it is my understanding
>that people in Core are working on a plan to make it a less sucky job
>in the future. However, all this impacts is project management. The
>code base continues to develop at an ever-increasing rate -- we have
>something like double the number of developers we did only 18 months
>ago, and quality isn't suffering from what I can tell.

  Again my point had nothing to do with code quality...I sing its praises
nearly every day.  I appreciate the clarification; I do hope that this plan
that you speak of helps things out for core members.

  From your perspective, is there anything that the user community can do to
make being in core less sucky?

                     -Dave McGuire