Subject: core resignations (was Re: NetBSD: Certified mom-ready.)
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1999 14:03:11
Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com> writes:
>   Indeed.  Though not entirely shocking, given the rate at which we're losing
> members of 'core'.

I think you're panicing without any real cause. The number of
developers working on netbsd is steadily growing, not dropping. We are
going through some growing pains that will likely result in a
reorganization of the way the project is managed, but the code is
improving at a phenomenal rate.

>   My entire company depends on NetBSD/sparc and NetBSD/alpha.  A total of
> over one hundred machines, nearly all mission-critical.

Do you have any reason to believe that the OS isn't continuing to
develop and improve at a pretty dramatic rate?

> What the hell is going on?

Being in core is a sucky job. At the moment, it is my understanding
that people in Core are working on a plan to make it a less sucky job
in the future. However, all this impacts is project management. The
code base continues to develop at an ever-increasing rate -- we have
something like double the number of developers we did only 18 months
ago, and quality isn't suffering from what I can tell.

Perry