Subject: Re: pmax in distrib
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Simon Burge <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/18/1999 10:02:55
Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Todd Vierling wrote:
> >> For now, the pkg requires LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be set.
> >Ugh. This is hardly `compatable.'
> Yes.  It's a crock. And breaking user binaries from a previous release
> (which is hwat happens if you remove from a pmax 1.3 elf system,
> which has user-compiled binaries that refer to, not ld.elf_so)
> isn't really on, is it?

At least in the upgrade case, the existing contents of /usr/lib and
/usr/libexec are still going to be there so old user binaries should
just work.  I guess the only problematic case is where you have someone
who starts with a clean /usr and then tries to use an old /usr/local or
/usr/pkg on top of that - then we'd need something fancier...