Subject: Re: pmax in distrib
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/17/1999 18:42:21
On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Only the major version is signficant; the minor version is -not used-
> at runtime.  So if everything is in /usr, then either all programs get
> the `old' libc....

If the major number is the same for a library, there's no need for
compatability libraries. So this doesn't matter.

I'm talking about this sort of situation:

    /usr/lib: -> -> ->

When we added the compatability package, which included,
the link has to be updated.

Curt Sampson  <>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: