Subject: Re: SGI ports [was Re: pwd_mkdb]
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Castor Fu <castor@geocast.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1999 10:27:16
On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> In message <Pine.GSO.4.03.9904101431370.13517-100000@geo.geocast.net>,
> Castor Fu writes:
>
> >I've been meaning to work on tools for this and have several Indy's which
> >have been donated by SGI for the purpose of working on this.  However,
> >I've been swamped at work.  If people want access to machines, I can
> >try to arrange to at least throw one up on the net.
>
> hi castor,
>
> Having access to the machines is cool; thanks to SGI and ot you for
> the offer. But I dont understand what the goal of the exercise is,
> here.  Getting a NetBSD-compiled kernel to boot with the standard Indy
> boostrap tools?  If so, wouldn't we need both the machine and access
> to a serial console (or equivalent) via the net?
>
> (And how much of this can be done without at least a console-io driver
> for Indys?)

Well, my first goal (once I start spending time on this again), is to get
the n32 ABI working.  To  do this we'll need a reference implementation,
i.e. the SGI.  For porting NetBSD itself, a serial console is necessary,
and that may come in time, but I don't really have the resources for that now.

	-castor