Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/1999 23:17:56
>> ...and that /var/db/pkg should be /usr/pkg/db, because that
>> way i could share /usr/pkg among systems and get everything i need out
>> of it.
>
>I've talked to a few other people about this, and most seem to
>agree with this. It's just that nobody's actually tried to do it
>yet.

...or even /usr/pkg/etc or something.  so what's actually holding this
back?  i'll admit to bot actually having very many places where this
would actually benefit me, but it does seem to me to be a "very
useful" thing, or at least "logical".

>> then again, i also think that it would be really "neat" if i could
>> make a symlink that pointed to @ (or some other convenient unorthodox
>> character or word that wouldn't likely be used in a "sane"
>> environment), and have the *kernel* substitute the @ with the arch
>> name (in namei(), if i'm correct (/me is a not a kernel hacker)).
>> then i could make bin point to @ on my nfs server and share /usr with
>> any netbsd architecture i or you can come up with.  actually...i could
>> share everything.  :)
>
>You can do this with amd already, and I know many people who do.

perhaps...but then i'd have to run amd and configure it on every
system and have bazillions (well, more than i want) of lookback mounts
or something like that.  and with the current "instabilities" in
nullfs, that's not really a "viable" solution.  i'd probably win, but
i might lose.

fwiw - "not a kernel hacker" in the above context equates to "i just
read the namei() code again and then my cat raced into the room and
back out again and that made more sense to me".  pardon me while i go
herd my cats.  :)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|